A Study on the Old Site of Buseok Temple in Yeongju
Buseok Temple in Yeongju was established by Uisang of Silla at the end of the Three Kingdoms period in 676 under the order of the king. In 1849, An jeong-gu recorded in Sunheung-eupji that 'Galang Mountain : To the north of Bonghwang Mountain. Originally, it was the old site of Buseok Temple'. According to these records, the current Buseok Temple is not the Buseok Temple established by Uisang of Silla. The purpose of this study is to investigate and analyze ancient documents related to the relocation of Buseok Temple based on the records of Sunheung-eupji and to conduct an on-site survey based on them to find out the truth about the old site of Buseok Temple. As a result of the study, the records of the relocation of Buseok Temple were confirmed in the old literature. As a result of the on-site investigation, a basin of about 75,000m² was found in Mt. Gaegot, which is located north of Mount Bonghwang. And here, roof tiles of the late Goryeo Dynasty and early Joseon Dynasty were found. These findings suggest the possibility that this place is the old site of Buseok Temple.