The purpose of this study is focused to the historic changes of Yungnam-Ru(嶺南樓), which are based on the site layout, and architectural forms in architectural building history and historic periods analyzed with the historic reference, paintings, and photos. This study is to search the alteration of the types of axis and the formation of spaces in Yungnam-Ru which is the Ru-Gak(樓閣) The conclusion of the architectural changes from the historic period and architectural form which is the belows. The first Yungnam-Ru by name had been used to be called, before it was re-called Yungnam-Ru by Kim Ju in 1365. Therefore, the hypothesis in naming Yungnam-Ru form assumption that the building under the name of Yungnam-Ru was re-named by Kim Ju from the Old Budist Temple called Yungnam-Sa, should re-considered in history. The second, it is considered that Milyang-Sibyi-Kyungdo(密陽十二景圖) as the painting can only be seen the site layout in 1542. It could be compared the differences of the site layouts from in 1542 to the present time. At that time Nyungpadang(凌派堂) was connected the main buildings called Yungnam-Ru Chimrudang(沈流堂),building was seperated with the Yungnam-Ru at that period. In 1542, the main Building(Yungnam-Ru) was consist of 5 spans of columns(from the front) and 2 spans of columns(from the side). Now, the main Building(Yungnam-Ru) has the 5 spans of columns from the front, and two spans of columns short from the side, compared to the present facade. At the past, Chimrudang(building) has the two spans of columns and one span of columns short, compared to the present facade. The third, It supposed that main building, Nyungpadang and Chimrudang in the composite of facade was connected with Wolrang(月廊) and Hunrang(軒廊) after invatioin from japan in 1592. 1844, (Chosun dynasty, Hunjong 10) the Yungnam-Ru was re-builted by maintaining the same concept in site layout of the past, and finally the three buildings was put together with Wolrang and Hunrang. As a result, the plan of the Yungnam-Ru was expanded with many aspects. From 1542 to 1844, the present site-layout gradually completed with three buildings which was spatially connected. The forth, in the middle age of Chosun dynasty, after added Gaeksa(客舍), the building is for the government officer staying temporally from outside province) in the site, the site layout was greatly changed with volume of building. In 1844, the Yungnam-Ru as the Nugak belongs to Miljukwan(密州館) was expanded spacially and formally. After that time, the burned buildings could not have been re-built because of aspects in government ability and economical ability.
This study aims at examining the background and development process of Masan city after Koryo Dynasty, making a reconstructive map of Original Masan using the first registration maps made in 1912 and analyzing the urban structure of the Original Masan area. The origin of Masan city went back to Koryo dynasty. Around 1040 Koryo government placed an official shipping facility in Masan to transport the taxed grain to the capital city. After that Masan became an important port covering the southern part of KyungSang-Do. And the urbanization of the Original Masan began to bud after a shipping facility was again established by the Chosun Dynasty in 1760 and strengthened in the 19th century after the social standing system was broken and many peasants moved to cities as daily workers. In 1899 Masan was forced to be opened to foreign powers and they placed an international settlement distanced from the area(Original Masan). After this many Japanese advanced to the international settlement and further to the area. The advancement of Japanese brought a critical change in the urban structure of the area. Land was owned by Japanese and many modern sysytems were introduced such as modern buildings, new roads, railroad and modern factories. According to the reconstructive map of the area, 80.5% of land lots are less than $200m^2$ 수식 이미지 showing the size of each land lot is comparatively small. And Japanese occupied 31.5% of the land in the area. Their land was located on the stratigic points near the port and the center of commerce. The ratio of the road area to the whole land was around 14%, not so low for urban areas in that time. The reconstructive map reveals the exact coastline of the year 1912 erased now due to filling the sea and extending the land, Present Masan city has been developed having the Original Masan as its nucleus. The area has been always the center of urban activities for Masan city. Making an exact reconstructive map for the area and analyzing the urban structure of the area in 1912 is a very important work to understand Masan city wholy.
The Chapel and Exhibition hall of Chul-du-san-Holy place are considered as the most important work of architect Lee Hee-Tai (1925-1980), and as a work representing Korean architecture in 1960's. What is the reason that these buildings can acquire such a remarkable estimation? This study tries to make clear this reason with an analytic method. These buildings are situated in singular site, in which small mountain comes up alongside with Han-river. Architect laid out the Chapel and Exhibition hall to the memory of 108 saints who died for their faith in this mountain, considering the specificity of the site, the direction of approach stair, and the formation of public space. Architect proposes an opposed composition of form for these two buildings. So the Exhibition hall is characterized by trabeated structure, centripetal force and Apollonian order. It has strictly proportioned facade, which is composed of two 15m-by-l5m squares and subdivided equally in three portions. The Chapel is charaterized by arcuated structure, centrifugal force, and Dionysosian sentiment. In this work, architect Lee Hee-Tai also expressed the locality of Korean architecture with the grammar of column-roof.