This study examines changes and features of provincial office buildings in Suwon and Chungju after relocation during Japanese occupation. Gyeonggi and Chungbuk provincial offices(Gwanchalbu) were relocated by Japan. Gyeonggi Provincial Office in Suwon used HwaseongHaenggung buildings and moved to Seoul in 1910. After relocation, most of HwaseongHaenggung buildings used for Suwon Governmental hospital(JaHye Uiwon). Suwongun Office, Suwon public elementary school, Japanese Military and Suwon Police station also used HwaseongHaenggung buildings with the Hospital. At first, Japan remodeled local government buildings for their use. Most of HwaseongHaenggung buildings had been destroyed to build new buildings since 1920s. Chungbuk Provincial office in Chungju used DongHeon building which is Chungju local government building and relocated to Cheongju in 1908. DongHeon building changed to Chungju county office after relocation. This building was renovated. Chungju county office moved to other site, this building was used for Chungju county conference room. During Japanese colonial period, Suwon local government buildings were destroyed and replaced with new Japanese style buildings. Chungju local government buildings were also renovated or destroyed.
Young-dang(影堂) is a ritual pavilion where figures of a dedicated person is enshrined. According to literature, establishment of Young-dang architecture is thought to have the affinity with Buddhist tradition in the beginning of its history. A tradition of enshrining figure could be found especially in Buddhism. Until the mid Joseon dynasty, enshrining figure made of wood, clay and bronze was quite often at Young-dang. In Confucian ritual tradition, a pavilion where enshrining ancestor’s sprit tablet called Sadang(祠堂) or Myo(廟). In regarding portrait is a sort of figure, it has to be concerned with Buddhist ritual tradition. For this reaseon, Young-dang started to be distinguished from older aspect of existence in mid Joseon dynasty when the study of Confucian courtesy widely spread. It show the transformation process of Young-dang architecture from Buddhist tradition to Confucian tradition in J oseon dynasty.
Jukseoru is a pavilion building located in 44 Jukseoru-gil, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do. Jukseoru is characterized by the fact that the center 5 bays out of the front 7 bays are in the form of Jusimpo, while the ends of each side are in the form of an Ikgong. In addition, the columns are not aligned with each other because the columns of both compartments are out of the center rather than the columns of the center of the five compartments of the columns do not match each other. Based on this, architectural historical circles initially built five bays in pairs, but later added one space to each side to make it seven bays. Recently, however, a new claim has been made that it was built with seven bays from the beginning. Therefore, this paper proved that Jukseoru were expanded through historical data. We also looked at the characteristics of the Jukseoru period and the process of transformation through comparison of the bracket type.
This study examines the Gyeongju Seokguram Grotto restoration project (1961-1962) by architect Kim Chung Up (1922-1988) and introduces the documents he wrote at the time of planning. The study highlights Kim’s Plan attempt to adopt Buckminster Fuller’s idea of the Geodesic Dome, while inheriting the architect Pai Ki Hyung’s previous design plan which was nullified. As Seokguram Grotto’s water leak and deterioration issues have been brought up, the four-times survey was carried out by experts team between 1958 and 1960, under Ministry of Education’s direction. Pai designed an initial restoration plan based on the survey’s result, which was a double-dome structure with a concrete film on the outer periphery as a way to protect Seokguram Grotto in January 1961. However, as drawbacks, such as the heavy load of the concrete dome, and non-installation of entrance hall, have been indicated in the review process, the Cultural Properties Committee rejected the plan. Subsequently, Kim was appointed as the supervisor of the second restoration project. Kim drew up a process management schedule to be implemented from August 1961 to December 1963 and designed the conception plans for the second restoration design. This study analyzes Kim’s Plan by examining sketches, site plans, floor plans, and sections. Kim planned to maintain the idea of the double-dome structure proposed by Pai while applying Buckminster Fuller’s idea of the Geodesic Dome. Kim planned to lighten the dome structure by applying a steel-frame Geodesic Dome so that the dome structure could be supported by its own. The study is expected to reclaim the omitted parts from Seokguram Grotto's historical description and Kim's careers.
In the study of Buddhist architecture before the Goryeo Dynasty, the analysis of sectarian viewpoints is one of the effective means. In the study of Buddhist architecture before the Goryeo Dynasty, analyzing from the point of view of a Buddhism sect is one of the effective means. Until now, compared to the importance of the Beopsang school before the Goryeo period in the field of research on the history of Buddhist architecture, research on its temples was the least compared to those of other denominations. In this study, as one of the studies on Beopsang school temples, Geumsansa(金山寺), Beopjusa(法住寺), and Donghwasa(桐華寺), which were built as the Jinpyo’s Beopsang school temple in the late 8th century and maintained until the Goryeo Dynasty, were targeted. And I tried a rudimentary analysis on the building composition of those temples from the viewpoint of the beliefs and teachings of Beopsang school. This study is meaningful in that it is the first attempted study in the field of architectural history on the Buddhist temple of the Beopsang school, which led non-Zen sects of Buddhism along with the Hwaeom school until the Goryeo Dynasty.
This is a study on the structural changes of the tumulus and causes setting up a Sabangseok at the front of the tumulus at the royal tomb in the JoSeon dynasty, during the 17th~18th centuries. The Sabangseok was first used in the tumulus of Mongnueng(穆陵) in 1630. It is a multipurpose stone for boundary, foundation of the tumulus and blocking the sliding down of the tumulus. It was set up, when constructing a Yeongneung(寧陵) in 1673. But the vast spill of tumulus soil made it improve structure of the Sabangseok. Consequently, when the Yeongneung was re-constructed, the structure of the tumulus was fundamentally improved. The soil layer on the lime of the subterranean chamber became eliminated. Also the lime of the tumulus and the lime of the subterranean chamber became a united structure. The Sabangseok was still used until 1757 on account of precedents, although it would become unnecessary after structural improvement of the tumulus in 1673. In 1757, Yeongjo(The 21th monarch of the Joseon Dynasty) commanded repeal on the use of the Sabangseok, when constructing the Hongneung(tomb of Queen Jeongseong) . The decision and discussions about abolition on the use of the Sabangseok was recorded in Gukjosangryebopyeon.
Since its construction in the late 14th century, Hanyangdoseong had been carried out three major repairs and reconstructions during the 500 years of the Joseon Dynasty. In addition to the large-scale construction, small-scale construction continued until King Gojong era. In particular, in the 18th century, systematic construction management was implemented by the craftsmen and the military participated in the renovation of Hanyangdoseong in earnest, and the construction methods also developed rapidly. In the early 18th century, new construction techniques were attempted in various sections of the reconstruction work, and gradually became a common technology for repairing Hanyangdoseong in the late 18th century. The purpose of this study is to examine the characteristics and period of changes in the 18th century's construction technique, when the rapid development of Hanyangdoseong took place. To this end, the excavation results related to Hanyangdoseong, the remaining city wall, and the inscribed stones were used to identify and demonstrate the characteristics and change of the construction method.
This study is a case study of system improvement measures for urban regeneration of the historical and cultural environment. The example areas are Hwangnam and Inwang Hanok districts in Gyeongju City, which operate various systems to solve the urban decline problem caused by the historical and cultural environment regulations. The subjects of this study are resident support programs and district unit planning systems under the advanced promotion system established in the case area. As research methods, literature studies, field surveys, and in-depth interviews were conducted. Through this, the background and purpose of introduction of each system, major plan contents, and problems of the system application process were analyzed. This study drew the following implications through case studies. First, in order to more effectively promote the urban regeneration of the historical and cultural environment, it is necessary to improve the related systems in an integrated and systematic manner. Second, in order to resolve the policy distrust of local residents in the historical, cultural and environmental management system, a wider variety of planned alternatives to narrow the difference in interests between the public and private sectors should be presented.